Foundations of the Contemplative Life
Awareness of the presence of God is the meaning of the contemplative life. Foundations welcomes women and men into a nine month learning community focusing on spiritual practices that open the heart to the activity of Grace in one’s life. This program encourages students to develop their relationship with God through prayer by exploring new dimensions in the spiritual life within a nurturing environment. Our approach is to move beyond technique into a laboratory like atmosphere of experimentation with the rich prayer portfolio of the Christian contemplative tradition.
Each of Kairos’ Spiritual Formation courses build upon the learnings and experiences of each of the previous year’s class. Foundations of the Contemplative Life is highly recommended before taking Deepening the Contemplative Journey.
Foundations of the Contemplative Life gently opens the door for you to answer that little nudge you have been feeling, or perhaps, that large desire you’ve had, to be in a more meaningful relationship with God but didn’t know where to start on the journey. This class invites you to a life-changing, life-freeing and life-giving experience.
- To nurture the desire to deepen relationships with God, self and others
- To explore the spiritual roots and to claim that which is essential to both knowing and loving God and being known and loved by God
- To engage Christian traditions that can increase understanding of God’s movement and deepen faith
- To explore the riches of contemplative life and prayer
- To be more attentive to God’s continuing call, releasing one’s gifts into the body of Christ and the world.
For a full class description, please reference the 16-17 Foundations Prospectus(right).
- September: Who is God and who am I?
- October: The call to go deeper in prayer
- November: Noticing what draws me to God
- December: A Quiet day in the Spirit of Advent
- January: The Word is Very near you
- February: Befriending the Shadow for Personal Wholeness
- March: Silent weekend
- April: Using our Senses to Connect with God
- May: Taking our Prayer into the World
For a full class description, including monthly prayer practices and a reading list, please reference the 16-17 Foundations Prospectus (right).
About the Faculty
Cost & Payment Schedule
The cost of $1,855 is based on two full weekends (Sept. and May) and six 24 hour retreats (Friday 5:00 pm to Saturday 5:00 pm (Oct, Nov, Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr). Also includes Advent Day on December 3, 2016.
|Non-refundable Application Fee:||$75||Due with application|
|Room & Board||$850|
|$1,855||TOTAL Tuition/Room & Board|
|Payment Schedule||$618||Due August 1, 2016|
|$618||Due December 1, 2016|
|$619||Due March 1, 2017|
For those desiring additional time and space to journey within this community, full weekend options will be available for the cost of meals and lodging–$570 for six extra nights (Saturday night) with meals (Saturday dinner-Sunday lunch). Those extending their stay are welcome to join in All-School Prayers on Saturday evening and Sunday morning. Please call with questions about additional overnight options or to add this cost to your payment plan.
Financial assistance is available on a very limited basis. Applicants are encouraged to seek other resources of funding from their local church or religious affiliations. $500 per year is the maximum award and is based upon available funding. Contact Mary Kay Alpaugh, Interim Executive Director, to apply for assistance before July 15. Email director@KAIROSjourney.org or phone, 717-669-2957.
Back to top
- Submit a completed 16-17 Foundations Application (at right) and personal essay via email to email@example.com or mail to 2160 Lincoln Highway East #13, Lancaster, PA 17602. A $75 application fee is due at the time application and can be made via Paypal (link below) or mailed with application.
- Have three personal references submit references forms to Kairos.
- After receiving and reviewing application, essay, and references, Kairos will send a letter to confirm your enrollment in the class.
- Make first tuition payment by August 1, 2016.
**Special Note – If you need regular menu items prepared differently, such as low-salt, or vegetarian items, please advise our administrative staff upon registering for a class/retreat. If you need specialized alternatives that are not routinely stocked by the Jesuit Center kitchen, please bring them with you and inquire about refrigerated storage space.
Pay Application Fee
A $75 application fee is due with application. You may pay now via Paypal (use a credit card, debit card, or Paypal account).
Once you receive a confirmation of enrollment, you may make your first tuition payment (due August 1, 2016). Before making your payment, please review the terms and conditions HERE. Then select your payment amount and type your name in the box below to indicate that you “accept the Terms/Conditions.”
Request More Information
Back to top